View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 09:13 AM  
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

Default I buy @ the wrong time Porterhouse

I ran around to three different places before finding a porterhouse. The local Raleys had some prepackaged but the largest was only about 1.6 lbs and I was looking for something in the 2+ lbs range. I thought I was lucky after I walked over to the butcher counter and spotted one weighing 2.12 lbs in the meat case and quickly bought it.

Late last night I logged in and saw that Marty got his porterhouse at the same store but unlike me, Marty knows how to shop when there's a sale and he didn't pay $10.49/lb like I did. I need to pay better attention to the grocery ads.

It was a pretty thick one @ about 1 3/4 inches:

I seasoned it with a garlic flavored olive oil, some a simple montreal rub, and a little fresh ground pepper & put it on my Small Egg indirect @ 300 for a bit:

Then removed the plate setter, cranked up the Egg to 500+ and gave it a sear:

It was pulled with an IT in the high 120s and after resting under some foil raised up to 135 but was plenty juicy:

I didn't do anything fancy with it afterwards other than make a good chunk of it disappear .

Thanks for looking.

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, Santa Maria Grill, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->