View Single Post
Unread 02-12-2011, 03:58 AM   #93
infernooo
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Next up, the THIRD entry!

Thanks to Lake Dogs for his entry.

#3 Lake Dogs (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1524697&postcount=11)

First, I've had many GREAT sauces, sauces that stand on their own, sauces that truly make cardboard taste great. To me, this sauce doesn't compliment BBQ but masks it.
Below is our sauce recipe that compliments the meats and our rubs. It is thin enough that if used in small amounts compliments the smokey meat flavors. And with that, IMHO, sauce should never have smoke flavor; that's what the meat is for, right?

Starters:

55oz+- Contadina Tomato Sauce

28oz Steens Pure Cane Syrup
18oz Bama Grape Jelly
3oz Lee & Perins Worchestershire Sauce
1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder

Mix all of the above and warm.

We use this (above) on chicken.

For pork and beef:

1 part Blues Hog Original

1 part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
3 parts our sauce (above)

For ribs we'll mix:

2 parts Blues Hog Original

1 part Blues Hog Tennessee Red
2 parts our sauce

Recipe Review:

Notes: As specified by Lake Dogs, I ensured the brands used were the same as the recipe stated in order to get a proper approximation of his sauce. The Tomato sauce, cane syrup and grape jelly were all purchased from online grocery stores and forwarded to me via my mail forwarder. For the spices, I used Penzeys, and all other brands were as specified.

Ingredients: The ingredients hint at a very unique sauce, with the fruity combination of grape jelly, the lack of ketchup, the cane syrup with its ever-so-slight bitterness and a few spices to give the sauce a kick. Furthermore, the mix-ins at the end to customise it to various meats is a great idea.

Ease of preparation: Extremely easy to assemble - and the base can be kept and portioned out to be mixed with the appropriate sauces to customise it to various meats.

Modifications and variations tested: Tested both the ribs and pork+beef suggestions as per the recipe.

Taste/Texture: Whilst it does have a good dose of syrup and grape jelly, as the base is not ketchup but tomato sauce, it was not overly sweet. The Jelly and cane syrup gave it a really intriguing flavour that you could not put your finger on if you did not know they were there, and with the cayenne, chilli powder, black pepper and wooster sauce to give it a bit of a kick, the flavours blended beautifully. You can see from the recipe that there is no sour element (the wooster sauce is not included in a substantial enough amount to impart its slight sourness from the tamarind in it), but this comes in with the blues hog tennessee red. The beauty of this recipe is that it is not noticably sweet, not noticably sour, not overly salty or spicy - it is a great balance of flavours.

Recommendations: To be honest, I cannot think of how I would improve it. Some may like it with a bit more "kick" to it, by adding some chipotle hot sauce (to provide an extra dimension to the flavour - a smokey note) or smoked paprika instead of the regular paprika. You do have to be careful though, as it is a very well balanced sauce in terms of both flavours and ingredients (due to the grape jelly and cane syrup, some added flavours may not work well with it - e.g. I cannot see herbs working too well)

Ratings:

Appearance: 8/10 A very nice looking sauce - due to the grape jelly, cane syrup and wooster sauce, it has a beautiful dark, rich colour and a nice sticky consistency thanks to the jelly and syrup, but not cloyingly so.

Consistency: 8/10 Reasonably thick, but when mixed with the other sauces, the consistency is perfect for that meat (e.g. thicker for ribs, thinner for pulled pork)

Taste: 8/10 My comments above speak for themselves... this is an absolutely outstanding sauce, and I would definitely make it again and recommend it to others.

Versatility: 8/10 Whilst I am a purist when it comes to brisket, I couldn't help myself and actually ended up dipping some slices () in the sauce... as brisket has a pretty strong flavour, this sauce stood up beautifully to it and worked really well with the cherry, oak and pecan smoked brisket.
It was simply amazing on ribs, and for pulled pork, whilst I normally love just a simple moistening mix of sugar, salt, white + red + black pepper and cider vinegar, the fruitiness of the base and the tang from the added blueshog worked brilliantly.

Overall Rating: 8/10. A brilliant sauce. I can see why Lake Dogs would be successful at comps with this sauce and applaud him for divulging his recipe. I know I will be making this one again for sure - a good stock of the base and then adding in the other sauces depending on the BBQ I am serving if I am feeling like a sauce.

Photos of sauce construction:

1.) The ingredients:

Clockwise from left:
Wooster Sauce, Tomato Sauce, Grape Jelly, Golden Syrup (note: I took out the wrong syrup for the photo - I actually used Steens in the recipe), Blues Hog Tennessee Red, Blues Hog Original, Black Pepper, Cayenne, Paprika, Chilli Powder

2.)
Ingredients in the pot:

3.) Sauce after slight cooling:

Thank you again Lake Dogs for the recipe

Next up, Roxy's S.C mustard sauce!
infernooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->