View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
On the road to being a farker
fatguyputter's Avatar
Join Date: 04-21-10
Location: Hutchinson, KS

Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post
So I got this new Mavrick 372 from 5-0 BBQ. It is fantastic, the range is more than I will ever need.

However, I got ribs on and want 250 or less, but it's soaring to 300.

So I go out and pull everything off to see if I could figure out just what was happening. Dumb Jim, the back vent is wide open!

But I remember closing it! NO Dumb A$$ you opened it. You all need to know that I am just slightly handicapped (not mental) and I can't bend over to see what position the vents are in. Let alone move one.

To me, then look like they are open when closed and versa-visey.

I am going to have to make some king of a mod that will enable me to reach the vent and tell just what position the darn thing is in. At least until I can afford to buy a guru or stoker of whatever strikes me when the time comes

But, the darn thing is still running at 280 with all the vents closed except for the dome being wide open.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Be patient, I have noticed that mine takes awhile to adjust once it gets up that high--especially if you are using water in the water pan. That is what I think is the best part of the WSM (holding temperature), but it can also be the most problematic when you want to take it up or down quickly.

Incidentally, I had my first temp problem with my WSM yesterday on my Superbowl cook. Got it fired up to 250 put on my pork butt at 9:00 am, then added ribs at about 11:30 am. It was holding fine. Had a whole circle of charcoal using the minion method like I always do. I had the bottom vents all about half closed. About 2:00, just prior to foiling my ribs, my temp started dropping semi-dramatically--from 250-200 in about a half an hour. I opened up vents during the process and it continually dropped. I checked the charcoal to see if it could have possibly burned out already, and there was plently left. Finally I just opened the feeder door for about 5 minutes to let it get some oxygen. It began to climb back and then would slip a little. Somehow, I don't think it was getting enough oxygen. I decided to add another chimney of hot coals and stoke the fire a little and it came back to life and held nicely. Just didn't understand the way it was acting. Let me know if you have ever had problems like that.

Thanks, and good luck.
fatguyputter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->