Unread 02-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #83
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernooo View Post
On to the second entry!

Thanks goes to Mister Bob for his entry of "Blue Ribbon BBQ Sauce".

Ratings:

Appearance: 8/10 A great looking sauce - lovely colour due to the preserves, brown sugar and wooster sauce as well as a lovely consistency and gloss due to the honey.

Consistency: 7/10 Quite thick, but definitely clings well to the meat. Also thick enough for dipping if one were so inclined ;)

Taste: 6/10

Versatility: 6/10 I did not find this went particularly well wtih brisket. After the modifications, I found that it went VERY nicely with both ribs and chicken thighs which I had smoked and glazed with the sauce. A bit too thick for pulled pork (though it could be thinned out with some water or vinegar), and the flavours did not seem to marry well wtih the bark of the pulled pork, but this could have been due to the rub used.

Overall Rating: 6/10. After some modifications, this recipe definitely has potential, especially as a sauce for ribs. The fruitiness of the preserves and glossiness provided by the honey make it great for glazing and slathering, I just felt it needed a bit more kick and a touch more sourness to stand up to the sweetness of the other ingredients.

Next up, Lake Dogs!

Infernoo, your review was very thorough and you made some excellent observations. You also started this exercise by admitting it would be a subjective judgment, and that it also was.

Not everyone likes sweet sauce (and not everyone likes tangy sauce or hot sauce or spicy sauce or vinegar sauce or mustard sauce or white sauce...) You thought it was too sweet, and sweet it is, but it's not nearly as sweet as Blues Hog Original for instance (which is winning a lot of comps these days). I did primarily use that sauce for ribs, so you got that part right on!

I also agree that it's too thick to use with pulled pork, and if and when when I used it for that, I thinned it with apple juice and apple cider vinegar mix.

I would NEVER use that sauce on brisket so you made a very good call there too. I rarely use sauce on brisket at all, and when I do it's definitely not a sweet one.

It is good on chicken, especially if you let it burn just a little!

I think your reviews would be better if you rated each sauce on ribs, pork, brisket and chicken separately. IMHO there is no such thing as a universal sauce for all four. It would be like a Swiss Army knife that can do several things, but none as well as the tool that's really designed to do it!

I still think you're doing a good thing and I will continue to follow this thread!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Bob's Hogs. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller

http://TheHogBlog.com
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->