View Single Post
Unread 02-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #7471
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

"I have a question for more experienced drumhead bretheren. I have a dome lid but I only installed the bolts for the lower rack. I still have room for an upper rack. My question is: Is the second rack more trouble than it is worth? I seldom cook anything low and slow that I don't need to get at sometime during the process. Do you find that removing the top rack to get at the lower is a PITA? Do you need to rotate the racks of meat during the cooking process so that they are done at the same time"

I mostly use my top rack for appetizers while I'm smoking. It's not really a problem if you have a place to put your top rack, to get to the bottom rack. I use an old card table. You will probably need to rotate your racks if you have the same meat on both. Just be very careful when tilting the bottom rack to get it past the top bolts, hate to see you loose a rack of meat. I like the idea somebody came up with, they used long bolts in the top rack to rest on the bottom rack. This way, no need for bolts thru the top and your bottom rack will come straight out. You could put bolts on both rack's so you can rotate them. That's my next mode.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast Red Thermapen

Got butt ? Smoke it !!
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote