View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #66
infernooo
On the road to being a farker

OK folks, here we go! Starting with the first entry.

Thanks goes to btcg for his entry of "Bills Homemade BBQ Sauce".

#1 btcg (http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/bi...-bbq-sauce.htm)

Bills Homemade BBQ Sauce

Notes:
  • The Whole Food's brand's molasses and brown sugar in my recipe give the sauce a distinct profile, as does the Old Grandad whiskey.
  • I use Hunts tomato sauce: not as critical, but I like consistancy.

BBQing makes any day a holiday! While many can make some darn good Q makin your own BBQ sauce will give you the edge when comparisons are made: anyone can buy it, few can make.

Heres a BBQ sauce recipe thatll have your family & friends lickin their fingers when theyre done:

16 oz can tomato sauce

1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tbs molasses (Whole Foods organic is best)
2 tbs brown sugar (Whole Foods Dark Organic is best. Use more if desired.)
2 tbs onion powder
1 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs black pepper
1 tbs Paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1 2 tsp chili powder (adjust for required heat. Go light, you can always add more.)
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
1 tsp salt
2 tbs corn starch

Cooking instructions:

Using a low heat, bring slowly to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook 5-15 minutes more if thicker sauce is what you prefer. Take off and allow to cool. Bottle and refrigerate overnight is best. Keep refrigerated. Will last for weeks, if you have any left, that is.

Now, Ill often make 3 batches of this at once, and tweak 2 of them with differing levels of heat (extra chili powder or habenero sauce), extra sweetness, or extra spices. A 1/2 cup of whiskey can also add some bite.

Enjoy!

Recipe Review:

Notes: I used hunts tomato sauce, but not whole foods molasses or brown sugar. I used a mixture of Brer Rabbit and Grandma's Molasses (in order to have a more neutral molasses flavour profile, rather than one dominated by one or the other). For the chili powder, I also used a mixture of Penzeys, gerbhart and mccormicks.

Ingredients: Quite a typical group of ingredients for a BBQ sauce, but with much less sugar and a much higher ratio of spices and flavourings than most BBQ sauce recipes.

Ease of preparation: Extremely easy: Simply put all ingredients in a pot and simmer, adding corn starch at the end.

Recommendations: Personally I felt 2TB cornstarch made it a bit too thick, especially after it had cooled down. It would however help if glazing or coating items with the sauce.

Modifications and variations tested: As suggested, I also tried it with whiskey added, and felt this gave it an interesting boozy overtone that worked very well on ribs.

Taste/Texture: With only about 1/3 cup of sugar (molasses, brown sugar, tomato sauce), it was not overly sweet. With less vinegar than sugar, it also was not too tangy. Due to the large amount of spices and flavourings, it was very well spiced and definitely had a kick to it... the liquid smoke did provide a slight "fake-smoke" flavour, but many people like this and it comes down to personal preference.

Ratings:

Appearance: 7/10 (a bit thick, but the colour is great due to the molasses and wooster sauce. The spices also give it a nice look - not too homogenous).

Consistency: 6/10 (once again, a bit too thick for my liking, but this is easily fixed).

Taste: 7/10

Versatility: 6/10 Perfect for sticky ribs, a bit too strong for dipping, but works very well as a glaze or when "saucing" a piece of meat. Go easy with it on the chicken, and I would thin it out a bit with drippings if using with beef but would use it VERY sparingly with brisket, but a bit more liberally with pulled chuckies. I wouldn't recommend it for pulled pork.

Overall Rating: 6.5/10. I can recommend this as a great homemeade alternative to commercial sauces, provided you use it on the right types of Q. Especially if you do not like an overly sweet, tangy or salty sauce, but one loaded with flavour.

Photos of sauce construction:

1.) The ingredients:
From left to right, top to bottom:
Brown Sugar and Molasses, Black Pepper, Cumin, Chili Powder, Worcestershire Sauce, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Dry Mustard, Cornstarch, Liquid Smoke, Salt, Garlic Powder, Tomato Sauce, Water and Vinegar

2.) Ingredients assembled in saucepan:

3.) Ingredients coming to a simmer:

4.) Sauce at the end of cooking:

5.) Sauce after slight cooling (note slight gloopiness/thickness due to cornstarch/cornflour):

Thank you once again btcg for the recipe

Next up, Mister Bobs!
infernooo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->