View Single Post
Unread 01-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #38
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Fair enough, and I agree that if a cut of meat is not permitted, then it is not permitted, period, but if some one calls something that would otherwise be allowed a "collar," that name alone does not invalidate the entry simply because it was not labled as a "Boston Butt, Picnic, or Whole Shoulder."

As for rule 6 and the FEC100, this could be argued until we are all blue in the face, but the rule says "Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters, provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking device." There is no minimum level of heat required, just like there is no maximum level of loin defined in the schoulder section. In at least some models of FEC100 and Traeger grills, an electric fire starter will turn on if the fire goes out. If they get a pass because of the low BTU output of those starters, that's fine, and I'm not arguing the intent nor the spirit of the rule, but I can't see how a reasonable person could deny that it is an exception if not violation to the letter of the rule. Goose, gander, and all that!

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote