View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Yup.....that's how I do it.

Quick question, though.....
I usually rinse all meat out of the cryopack under cold water then pat dry with paper towels. I've done this with chickens, turkeys, ribs, butts, brisket......EVERYTHING. I think I read that somewhere when I got started trimming/cooking meat.

I notice you didn't mention it here. I've always considered it a real PIA step. Not necessary?

ALSO.....when you say cut out the breastbone on the cutoff.....you just cut that portion complely off and trim the meat off, right?

GREAT tutorial. This will be a big help for those new to spares.
I don't rinse raw meat with tap water unless I'm going to cook it fairly soon. I personally believe I would be adding more germs than I would be removing, especially if it just came out of a cryovac. I'm no expert in the field, but it just seems to make sense to me. Maybe a Brethren more informed on the subject would like to weigh in?

As for the breast bone, yes, I just cut it off and trim and save the meat. I also save the bone sometimes for browning and adding to my tomato sauce for flavor.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Bob's Hogs. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller

[url]http://TheHogBlog.com[/url]
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->