View Single Post
Unread 01-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezer View Post
Hi everyone, I purchased a Traeger 075 last week and my expirience thus far is Rib Eyes. My wife just picked up a 6 pound boneless leg of lamb and would like me to smoke it wrapped in agave. My biggest concern is that the agave growing in my yard is the blue ish grey sort and not the kind that is used to make tequila. I am thinking that it may be better to inject or rub agave syrup? Any help with this or suggested cooking time, temp, pellets, etc... would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, Wheezer
Wrapping the lamb would diminish the point of smoking it. You will end up with smoked agave instead of smoked lamb. If you just gonna roast it then thats a different story. However I agree with Arlin in usin the agave another time. Whenever I do Lamb I have a curry rub and a rosemary/garlic rub. I HIGHLY reccomend the rosemary/garlic rub. I did it on some lamb shanks a while back and made a post... ok found it:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=89347

You can cut up the rosemary finer if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezer View Post
Thanks Jeff! thinking now of injecting a lime, tequila, agave syrup mix and rubbing with agave syrup, chipotle, and cilantro. Just need to nail down time, temp and pellets!
Just a personal note here, I'd be a little concerned about marinating/injecting the lamb too long with the lime & alcohol.

All you need is garlic, chili, rosemary, salt and EVOO for Lamb. It is such a wonderful meat, I find the garlic and rosemary really compliments the flavor well. For a nice med/med-rare doneness, smoke to about 120 then take off and rest for 10 minutes and heat up the fire then "reverse-sear" the roast quickly and your wife will forget all about the agave...

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->