View Single Post
Unread 12-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
trza
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I'd like to thank everybody who offered a suggestion or sent me a PM on the matter. I just pulled the venison off the grill, so with the exception of cutting into the meat (it's resting), here's some pr0n for you...

Last night I started my picnic shoulder. With that out of the way, I could worry about the venison. I rubbed the non-skin side down with Butt Rub, while I prepared my pallet for today by drinking a big bottle of Chimay Cinq Cents. BTW - the floralness of the Chimay would compliment any chicken or turkey.

Pork Picnic Shoulder by trzarocks, on Flickr

This is the 2nd hind quarter that I had to deal with. I cut off all the skin, fat, and other gross stuff until I was as close to the meat as I could get without taking the meat off. I read that this will help to prevent gameyness.

Here's what they basically looked like once they were cleaned up. Sorry for the mess and blood in the pic.

Venison hind quarter trimmed up by trzarocks, on Flickr

I rubbed the deer meat down with the Sportsman's Paradise Awesome Antler Rub. It's got rosemary, lemon, salt, pepper, and garlic as the base flavors.

Given the mixed results on the butter question, I decided to go with injection. The basic mix was:

* About 1/2 cup Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
* About 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1 shot of Jim Beam Black

I prepped the UDS by using a drip pan full of water and a pale ale on the bottom rack. The top rack got the venison. Here they are, as they entered the drum:

Venison hind quarter goes in the smoker by trzarocks, on Flickr

Here is the meat as it was pulled off the UDS. Looks plenty moist to me, so the water pan/injection seem like a suitable way to keep your venison from drying out.

Venison hind quarters just off the smoker by trzarocks, on Flickr

Last edited by trza; 12-31-2010 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: fixed bbcode pics
trza is offline   Reply With Quote