View Single Post
Unread 12-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #72
High Q
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default My name is Jeff and I boil my Brisket

I gave this simmering business a try on Christmas Eve.

For comparison, I cooked one brisket on my WSM at 275 using PopDaddy's Tri-Level Rub my way (Rub 1: Lawry's; Rub 2: Garlic Powder; Rub 3: Montreal/Lemon Pepper/Coarse Pepper. I started it out at 240 for two hours and then ran it at 275-300 for six (ish) more hours. The brisket rested in the cooler for about 4 hours and was carved and consumed at a Christmas Eve party at a friends house. It was tender, juicylicity, and maybe a little overdone. I did a Christian cut on the brisket (1" slices on the flat) and they held together but just barely.

On my UDS, I put a 14# packer in an aluminum foil pan and filled the pan up with Walter Jetton's mop. I ran the UDS at 250 or so for four hours and simmered the packer with the fat side up. I took the pan off the UDS after 4 hours, foiled over the pan and set it aside for a bit while I jiggered with the fire in the UDS, put some smoke wood on, etc. I put a thin coat of the coarse rub on this brisket before putting it back on (Montreal Steak/Lemon Pepper/Coars Pepper. I didn't put too much rub on as I was in uncharted waters and didn't want to over season the meat. I put the brisket back on the UDS (no pan) and smoked it for 3 hours. I started out fat side down and flipped and mopped it with the Jetton mop that I had simmered the brisket in once every 30 minutes to an hour. When I pulled it the probe was going in the flat very easily. I had a piece of the flat that was coming off from flipping it back and forth. I wrapped it and put it in a cooler and took it to the same party.

The simmered brisket had a very similar texture to the high heat brisket done on my WSM but it lacked that strong bark. Looking back, I think I should have put a stronger rub coat on the brisket when it came out of the simmer so I could get some bark and a stronger seasoning. The brisket was very juicylicitious. When I sliced it straight through the flat and the point. The point had an awesome smoke ring and color. When I do this again (and I will try it again), I will put the brisket fat side down in the pan. I left it fat side up so the flat wouldn't dry out but I inadvertently caused the nonfat layer to be sitting at the bottom of the simmer pan and it left the surface looking a little pot roast like when I put it on the smoker. Next time, I will all pull the brisket from the simmer and put it on the UDS with no lid. I'll flip, mop and tend the flare ups as this is the only way I can simulate open pit cooking in my yard. It will be more work but I think it will promote a better looking exterior and better exterior texture (similar to Dozier's crispy ribs if you know what I'm talking about).

Should I have seasoned the brisket after the simmer to get a better bark? What are your thoughts on the open UDS - flip, mop and tend plan?

I'm doing a comp in February. I may simmer my brisket just to see what will happen. Don't know if I can get this method perfected in time.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote