Unread 12-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smoke View Post
Leave it "as is".

If you get too much exhaust area (more holes) the fire will draw air in through them and you will have a difficult time with temperature control.

I know this because.......

I added the 3 daisy wheel vents from the bottom of the donor Weber kettle to the lid. (more is better thinking) It was a lot of extra work that was not needed. I only use 1 daisy wheel vent and generally not fully open BUT every cooker works a bit different.

I have not needed to rotate the lid YET....I am still learning the UDS method (10-15 cooks)

Also check out the UDS thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23436 for lots of great info.
No, you don't want too much exhaust, but letting some more of the fat in the fire vapor out can't hurt, and my Kingsford lid daisy wheel vent seemed to choke my uds when shooting for 350, and I had more intake than most, (5) 3/4" holes, sliding vent.

This morning, I knocked out three 7/8" holes opposite the daisy wheel on my Kingsford lid and have 1" magnets to regulate. I suspect I'll usually close the daisy some and only have the new holes partially open, but it will be nice to be able to open more if needed, and I suspect I'll get more even temps in the top of the drum. I got a lot of work to do on the new drum, but will try to post back on what magnet/daisy wheel positions seem to work best, both for low-n-slow, and HH.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote