View Single Post
Unread 11-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #7259
SmokerKing
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stglide View Post
Smoker... How close is the BBQ Therm to your cooking grate? I guess you're relying more on the digital??? I installed my therm just below the grate level. I have noticed that when you put the meat on, the coolness will affect it, so I don't worry about it that much for the first few minutes when it returns to temps close to before putting meat on. Theory being it is as close to the meat as possible, though the probe doesn't reach the middle, and we've had the whole diffuser discussion! ;)
I rely totally on my digital probes. I typically smoke using the top rack, which is the very top of a 55 gal drum since I use the cone top.

I place a second rack about 6" below the top meat rack and attach one digital probe dead center of that second rack, it does not touch the grate.

I place the second probe in the meat. I read both during the cook and view the analog just for kicks. Personally, I don't see a reason to even have the 2.5" analog probes on the side except to see if they ever balance to the digitals, and a back up should the digitals fail.

I'm thinking on raising my diffuser closer to the meat. That way, the heat has less distance to collapse again to the center of the drum before being exhausted in the center of my cone top.

I'm thinking that having multiple exhaust ports in the UDS lid and using a diffuser might provide a better balanced heat through the drum and meat.

What do I know? just experimenting.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote