View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #7165
chip32
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfathomable Bastid View Post
Hello brethren!

Finished the UDS yesterday. Decided to name her "Black Magic." The wife seriously thinks I'm insane now.

On to my question. Getting the baby lit. I've seen a few different strategies. Assuming I'll need a 7-10 hour burn at 225 degrees, whats the best way to get it started, using how much charcoal (and wood chunks)? Has anyone created a basic guide?

I'm planning my first burn with 5lbs of charcoal and a few wood chunks, but I can't imagine I light an entire charcoal chimney to start it.

Thoughts?

-Bastid
Hey Bastid, here is the advice I got in my Cattle Call thread and it's what I'm going to try later this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
Hey Chip,
Welcome from another Wisconsinite.
Most folk with a UDS use the Minion Method to light their charcoal. Fill your basket with charcoal nearly to the top, and add about 1/2 to a full chimney of lit charcoal on top. Catch your temps on the way up (20 to 30 degrees shy of your target) and close down some of your intakes. I'm a WSM guy, and don't have a UDS, but they operate on the same concept.

Welcome to the best clubhouse on the web!
Formula One race is over and now it's time to start cooking for the football games.

Cheers.
chip32 is offline   Reply With Quote