Anything Italian needs some garlic, so the first thing I did was fire up the BGE and roast some garlic. This is done by cutting off the tops on a head of garlic, pouring in some olive oil and getting them on the cooker at about 400 degrees for a half hour.
While the garlic was roasting, I started the construction. I laid out 9 strips of bacon and folded up piece number 2,4,6 and 8 then laid a piece across the middle.
Next, I folded down 2,4,6 and 8 and folded up 1,3,5,7 and 9, laid another piece across, folded those down and folded up 2,4,6 and 8 again. And so on and so on until I reached the bottom.
When I got to the bottom, I started in the middle again and worked my way up until the weave was complete.
Next, I cut open a pound of hot Italian sausage and put it in a 1 gallon Ziploc bag, flattened it out until I had even thickness all around then cut open the bag and place the sausage on top of the basket weave.
Next, I went outside and got the garlic off the BGE and lowered the temp to 250. I came inside and spread the garlic on the sausage, added some roasted peppers (jar variety this time), provolone cheese, spinach (so I could tell the wife it was health food) and some fresh ground black pepper.
Rolled it to the left.
Then rolled to the right.
Now I had an Italian Fatty ready for the smoker.
I hit it with a little rub and put it on the Egg along with a few chicken thighs for about 2 hours.
And here's how it turned out.