View Single Post
Unread 10-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #48
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the comments. I missed a couple of replies and I'll get to them later. Wifes giving me the Its time to go to dinner look! But I did get a couple in first. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendosia View Post
However, correct me if I'm wrong, but the hotness from a pepper comes from the ribs rather then the seeds? i've heard that the seeds actually don't have any heat, but rather the capiscin comes from the ribs on the inside of the pepper. Can anyone else confirm this? If that's true, then you'll need to trim all of the ribs off the pepper and it should be pretty mellow when you use em.
I think there is heat in the seeds as well. Look at crushed red pepper as an example. I do agree about the ribs of the peppers adding heat to a pepper. I know this from making ABT's. However I have found that some peppers are hotter than others when making them. LOL I'm still learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Has anyone ever done this without the Guinness or other beers. Beer normally isn't stocked in my house (though I got it for this cook). Just wondering how much it really adds, as compared to beef stock. I also wonder how much it varies depending on if it is Guinness v. Guinness Extra Stout v. PBR, etc. ;) .
I think any liquid would be fine however its always nice to day we cooked with beer tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
Very nice Vince!

I'll be giving this a try in the not too distant future, the only qustion is: how many jalapenos. I like a bit of spice (my wife, not so much). Ah well, easy enough to add more, very tough to take out.
The jury is still out in my kitchen! I think cooking some up in a separate tin and then adding to the sandwich might be a good option if spicy is not preferred. I'm going to try again with one to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
I think I'm going to switch the jalapenos to Anaheim/New Mexico peppers. Should be a little less heat, but still with that heat flavor. Chicago style Giardiniera sounds like it would be really tasty on these that could be added afterwards for those that want more heat.
You living in the Chicago area you can appreciate jardiniere peppers. I think it would be a great idea. I will say when we ate these the best way to describe the taste was a combo between Chicago style Italian beef sandwiches and pot roast with a kick all on a bun! I really enjoyed them and I hope others do as well. Vince