View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks! Will get one very soon. Pit is disgustingly dirty right now and hoping this weekend to give it a new paintjob and color scheme so I'll get something then.

The shelf right now (it was only supposed to be a temp job) consists of a piece of 3/8" round steel rod bent in a rectangle 5.5" wide and 20" deep then welded inside of the rectangle is 11ga flat rolled expanded steel. I used some scraps from my CNC table and welded a few tabs verticlaly on the bottom so the shelf would slip over the lip of my drip pan and be removable for cleaning (the idea actually came from thinking, how the heck will I get a chicken wing if it ever fell under the baffle? lol.) Then I set aluminum trays on the rack and top off when I check the load. I still have some other things to add to this pit like shelves beside the drawer racks to increase capacity and keep meat from falling when I tow it loaded. The pic I'm attaching is from the initial build and doesn't have the MOD but it could help you understand what I'm talking about.

Thanks!