THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4dueces

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Fitz
I've been asked to smoke a turkey for a good friend and would like to brine it first with a simple but tastey brine. Suggestions please. And Thanks.

Shake's Honey Brine is a great one to use. I use it and also add limes, oranges, and lemons to the brine, and before I smoke it, I stuff the citrus into the cavity. Makes a awesome bird! Very Juicy and very tasty!

Turkey2008002w.jpg

Turkey2008006w.jpg

Apple-Brined and Hickory Smoked Turkey
2 quarts apple juice
1 pound brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
3 oranges quartered
4 ounces fresh or dry ginger( if fresh ginger is used slice thinly)
15 whole cloves(don't skip out on this please you won't be sorry)
7 bay leaves
7 large cloves of garlic minced
This Brine will be enough for a 12 to 14 pound Turkey

Cook the Apple Juice, Brown Sugar, and Salt...Bring this to a boil for 1 minute...Let this mixture cool to room temperature!!!

I use a 5 gallon bucket, or you can use any container that holds the brine and the turkey, and one that does not spill over... Combine "3 Quarts of Water", the Oranges, Ginger, Cloves, Bay Leaves, and the Garlic. Add the Apple Mixture and Stir...

Remove any fat and giblets from your Turkey... Rinse your Turkey and drain it... Then submerge your Turkey in your Brine... Weigh it down if necessary to completely immerse the bird... And Refrigerate it for 24 Hours!!! Remove the Turkey from the Brine, let it sit for a couple of hours... Then Smoke that thang LOL!!!

I have used this recipe for 15 years and never ever had a complaint!!! Try it

I use a simple brine of 1 gallon of water, one cup of salt and one cup of brown sugar. You can also add some spices if you like (I am a big fan of fresh crushed garlic).

Cranberry-Apple Smoked Turkey Breast Brine
1 gallon cranberry-apple juice cocktail (cold)
1/2 cup canning salt
1/2 cup granulated turbinado
1/2 cup of Pure Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon white pepper
-Heat a small amount of Cran-Apple Juice in a pot on the stove, slowly add the rest of the ingredients until fully dissolved. Add to the rest of the cold Cran-Apple juice in a large bucket. Use a meat injector to liberally inject brine into turkey breasts. Place in brine and let set for 12-18 hours.
-When ready rinse with cold water, pat dry, and rub with thyme and rosemary. Smoke with Apple wood. 30 min per lb at 300 deg or 15 per lb at 325 deg
-When finished wrap tight with foil and let set 1 hour in cooler or wrapped in a towel

Cranberry-Apple Smoked Turkey Breast Brine
1 gallon cranberry-apple juice cocktail (cold)
1/2 cup canning salt
1/2 cup granulated turbinado
1/2 cup of Pure Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon white pepper
-Heat a small amount of Cran-Apple Juice in a pot on the stove, slowly add the rest of the ingredients until fully dissolved. Add to the rest of the cold Cran-Apple juice in a large bucket. Use a meat injector to liberally inject brine into turkey breasts. Place in brine and let set for 12-18 hours.
-When ready rinse with cold water, pat dry, and rub with thyme and rosemary. Smoke with Apple wood. 30 min per lb at 300 deg or 15 per lb at 325 deg
-When finished wrap tight with foil and let set 1 hour in cooler or wrapped in a towel

WOW - sounds awesome except I do not know what turbinado is - can you help?

Diva Q Turkey Brine

¨ 6 – 355ml cans Rock Creek Dry Cider (or substitute a non alcohlic apple cider)
¨ 2 cans Apple Juice 1.2L
¨ 1 cup Kosher salt
¨ ½ cup light brown sugar
¨ 2 tbsp black peppercorns
¨ 2 tbsp all spice berries
¨ 1 gallon ice water
¨ 5 gallon bucket

WOW - sounds awesome except I do not know what turbinado is - can you help?

It's a less refined sugar. You can find it with the sugar in a lot of groceries, especially specialty stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc.

Back