Originally Posted by PCDoctor_1979
Here's the explanation I received from the HD when they found the Food Saver in my kitchen. Even with the best sanitation practices, it's possible to have botulism present. Botulism is an anaerobic organism, meaning that it thrives in a vacuum. It creates a toxin that is heat stable, so proper re-heating does not get rid of that toxin and that's what makes you sick. One of the functions of a commercial sealer is that it raises the temperature of the wrapper to 185* (I think) to kill any of the bugs that are on the plastic wrap.
Excellent explanation and it explains why I can freeze nad thaw and reheat in 1/2 pans.
Owner/Head Cook/Chief Bottle Washer for Great Lakes BBQ & Feed Competition BBQ Team
FBA Member, KCBS Member & KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
Spicewine medium, weber kettle, gas grill