View Single Post
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

My dad and I have been using an LEM #5 (.25 hp) grinder for two years now with no issues whatsoever. Although a bit more power would be nice, we've had no issues doing 40 or 50lbs of sausage per "session" with it. You can get the LEM grinders at Bass Pro or order direct. The .25 hp is $240, the .35 hp is $289 and then it jumps to a .75hp for $389, no 1/2 hp so you can't do an exact apples to apples comparison against the Cabela's unit.

http://www.lemproducts.com/category/electric_grinders

Here's a couple things to keep in mind...

Although the grinders come with a sausage stuffing attachment you will quickly grow tired of it. Having to turn the stuffer on and off is actually a huge PITA and after only a month of making sausage my dad and I decided to buy a 5lb vertical stuffer. You don't need to get the stuffer right away, use the stuffer attachment on the grinder and see if it works for you, it might be something you like, but if you don't like it don't get anything less than a 5lb vertical stuffer. 5lbs is the bare minimum that you would want to have to load up at a time, if they weren't so expensive I would have bought a 10 or 15lb stuffer. Also, the smaller, angled stuffers are reportedly pretty cheesy and don't work well.

I also bought my dad a 17lb meat mixer, thinking it would do a quick job of mixing the seasonings into the meat. It didn't work as we anticipated and the blades in the mixer just sliced through the meat, leaving most of it relatively still and didn't mix much of anything. And to top it off it was just an extra thing to have to clean up at the end of the job. We used it twice and it's sat on the shelf ever since. What a waste of $130.
kyle corn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->