View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #6879
brunski
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSizzlin View Post
Make sure to post some pics as well!
finally mine is "sort" of done i'm still missing the thermometer, couple of handles and the plugs and nipples (this solution didn't work well for me) so i'm, for now, working with the magnets.
I tell you guys, i see some beautiful work being done over here, mine is a humble "ugly" smoker - here some pictures...
Well - i don't know how to insert them from flickr , but you can see them here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54510022@N04/5045683229/

I used a brand new unlined drum, so no burn was necessary - as you can see the interior was nice and clean

There is a picture with all the hardware i used and some of the tools as well.

I think the hardest thing was the basket, what i did to wrap the expando to the charcoal grate was use plastic zip ties, that held the sheet in place until i was able to use the screws, funny thing is i managed to make the basket only with copule of cuts, i thought i was going to have more than just that - tomorrow i will add the pizza pan for the ashes.

Since the paint on the drum was black, it was hard to mark it, so i used tape to mark the places. Also, i used the template some one in this forum posted some time ago, that was a real help as it gave me the correct places to make the holes.

so here is the technical information:

intake: 4-1" holes, 2' from the bottom
grill 1: 31" from the bottom (not much room here, just enough for hamburger patties, small pieces for chicken, hotdogs, etc) - i'm hopping to find a weber grill pronto
grill 2: 25" from the bottom
exhaust: 8-1/4 holes
charcoal basket: I used 2 12"x24" expando sheets wrapped around a 13" basket and for feet 3-3.5" bolt with fender washers

I think that does it - as you can see my build was pretty blah no belts and whistles - hopefuly this helps anyone trying to build this thing, if "I" could do it, anyone can, trust me!

BTW i already seasoned it- although i did it without the thermometer seemed to have worked pretty good. Tomorrow i will try it with the thermo and see the real temps

What other options to use for the intakes? - i already have the ball valve, but no way to attach it as the nipples were too big (1" black tell nipple close) - can some one please tell me the exact nipple i need to buy? - right now i have 4-1" holes in my drum so please any advice base it on that.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for yoour guidance to you all.
brunski is offline   Reply With Quote