BBQ Brethren "Breakfast Sandwich" Throwdown

Bill, good lookin stuff, but, can you pick that up and eat it? Like a sandwich! I really want to see that.

I picked up some stuff to put in an entry but Sharon (BHSLH) has had other plans for me. So if I'm not around as much please send out the search party.

She has me redoin the master bath room. I gutted it this week and now she expects me to put it back together. :crazy:

Any way, I think I can use the goodies for another topic if I can find the time.

Good luck to all. :clap2:

Great lookin sammy there Bill!

I coulda devoured the sausage and onions by themselves! :thumb:

Twice smoked ham, cheese, egg n' bacon stack

For this TD, I went with a stacked loaf breakfast sandwich. First, I smoked a cured ham on the UDS. This morning I scrambled eggs and bacon on the gasserrr, hollowed out the sourdough loaf and filled it with the twice smoked ham, cheddar and quesadilla cheeses, eggs n' bacon, and more ham and more cheese. Then into the UDS for a half hour to heat it all up and melt the cheeses. Thank you for looking.

uds.jpg

stuff.jpg

eggs.jpg

fill.jpg

udsfoil.jpg

entry.jpg
My TD Entry Thanks for looking

Aussie, you and your freinds know how to .........PARRRRRRRRTTTTTYYYYYYY. That is one over the top, arse kickin', butt stompin', artery stoppin', sammie. I bet it soaked up alot of the booze. :shocked:

When racking my brain for the recent throwdown topic, the main thing that I kept getting hung up on was the "bread" component. I couldn't think of anything new to do until I started thinking about all the different ways to make a sandwich. Then somehow, the Double Down sandwich from KFC came across my mind. That's when I decided to make the breakfast version of this sandwich.
I give you The Breakfast Double Down!

Here is the ingredients line up.
023.jpg

We seasoned up some of the bacon and got it ready for some indirect cooking.
026.jpg

The sausage was then formed into patties and seasoned up as well.
027.jpg

Then it was onto the OTG to do some indirect cooking with a splash of peach wood for flavor.
029.jpg

We gave it all a flip after bout half an hour.
031.jpg

Then it was time for the eggs! So out came the cast iron to fry up a couple in some bacon grease directly over the coals.
033.jpg

Time for assembly, sausage patty, cheese, egg, 2 slices of bacon, another egg, another slice of cheese, and the second sausage patty!
041.jpg

Ohhhhh yeahhhhh....
044.jpg

Here she is in all her sandwichy goodness! (TD PIC!)
040.jpg

Thanks for looking!:thumb:
(P.S.- No, I don't own stock in Lipitor. :laugh: )

I couldn't resist entering this TD considering it involves what could be my favorite meal of the day, breakfast. A biscuit seemed like the obvious choice to use in the construction of my sandwich. I didn't feel right using anything from a can, and since I'd been wanting to try making my own biscuits from scratch for quite a while, this presented the perfect opportunity to give it a go. I read a few recipes online, gathered the ingredients, and set out to create my ultimate breakfast sandwich.

breakfast1w.jpg

I began my mixing in baking soda, baking powder, salt, shortening, butter, and eventually buttermilk into my flour. After turning it out onto a floured board and working it a bit, I was ready to cut the biscuits out.

breakfast2y.jpg

A regular two-inch cutter seemed too small for my "ultimate sandwich" so I searched the pantry, found a larger can, and used it to punch out my dough. After spending 17 minutes in a 450 degree oven they were finished, looking might pretty, except for the few oddballs that were left over from the extra bits of dough.

breakfast3z.jpg

Before heading outside to begin working on the rest of the meal I "supervised" as a batch of sausage gravy was whipped up.

breakfast4.jpg

I fired up the grill, tossed on a few pieces of ham that I had lightly smoked last night (ever so lightly as I was cooking for people who "hate the taste of smoke" :rolleyes:) and loaded up a cast iron skillet with potatoes.

breakfast6.jpg

The ham didn't take long, but the potatoes sure did. At least the long cook gave me a chance to fry up some bacon and use a spare cast iron skillet to cook up some eggs with diced green peppers.

Eventually, after what felt like hours, the potatoes finished and it was time to plate up.

breakfast5.jpg

My breakfast sandwich began with a layer of ham, cheddar cheese, egg w/ green peppers, peppered bacon, and finally a helping of sausage gravy.

Yes, a few pigs were hurt in the construction of my breakfast. I finished off the plate with a serving of fruit and some of the potatoes (with more gravy of course).

:thumb:

Can't go wrong with scratch biscuits and sausage gravy. That be looking fine. Say taters pita? Still, yum.

Breakfast Brisket

Just finished my second drum so that the Mrs. and I can try our luck at some local backyard comps in the future. So Today we fired them both up and did 2 racks of spares, a brisket, a fatty, and some bacon wrapped chicken breast. :thumb:

DSC03426.jpg

(Far left drum is for a buddy of mine, he seasoned it today with two racks of spares)

DSC03433.jpg

Prepped the brisket last night and put it in the fridge overnight. Just Bovine Bold rub, nothing else.

DSC03421.jpg

DSC03422.jpg

7:05 am, tossed in the old drum at 240.

DSC03428.jpg

Added a fatty for lunch.

DSC03432.jpg

12:30, separated the point and flat, foiled the flat and cubbed the point. Both went back in the drum, the flat was at 165. At 2:30 probe went in like butter and it was at 205. Rested and then sliced.

DSC03447.jpg

This was my first attempt at a packer. All and all is was great. Burnt ends are the best thing ever!

DSC03446.jpg

Tossed some English muffins on the drum while the flat rested. Then placed on slice cut in half on each muffin with a light spread of Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and brown sugar. Man I could eat this every day!

DSC03454.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!!! It was yummy!! :thumb:

I just can't make a sandwich without good bread. And this weekend good bread was a little hard to come by so I did something a little different and made a pocket sandwich. Instead of traditional dough, though, I used puffed pastry. I kept it simple and just used scrambled eggs, cheese and roasted red peppers. I cooked these on the pizza stone in my Primo Oval:

IMG_0706.jpg

After about 25 minutes at 400*, they turned a beautiful golden brown:

IMG_0709.jpg

The result is a flaky crust:

IMG_0717.jpg

I served these up with a glass of mango juice and salsa.

IMG_0726-1-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Back