View Single Post
Unread 09-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean "Puffy" Coals View Post
Might just be a not so good rub recipe. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks and what not. And, I thought "real" texas brisket used coriander, but I might be wrong.

Another thing to take into consideration is how dilute the pepper was. For example a half cup of pepper alone is obviously overpowering if it's all your using, eventhough it doesn't seem like that much. It makes up 100% of the flavor profile. Take the same half cup of pepper and add it to another 2 cups of other spices and, obviously, the strength of the pepper-ness fades quite a bit because it's now only 20% of the flavor profile. Basically, the flavor/strength of any spice is directly related to the percentage of the rub that it makes up.

this is how dilute the pepper was "1/4 cup Black Pepper 1/4cup Salt 1/3 cup paprika" Roughly half the amount called for in the book. its been considered. i am wondering why anyone would use that much pepper. I used it because it was suggested by a fairly reputable BBQ book. Peace, Love, and BBQ.

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote