View Single Post
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
W_2004
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Got a little bit of work done last weekend.

Removed all the rust from the bottom slide draft door.

This was after the chemical rust removal. It left behind some stubborn rust patches.

Used a wire brush bit for my cordless drill to manually remove the remaining rust. What a genius invention that is

Some serious corrosion there.

Then I gave it a few coats of black heat resistant spray paint. And there it is. Almost as good as new.

Notice the original fraction markings that I taped over before spraying.

Also derusted the grate just for the heck of it. Chemical remover was sufficient.

And then it happened...

The damn base cracked when I lifted it with one hand on the top rim, the other in the bottom vent. I immediately put it down and searched for any damage. Found an approx. 40 cm (16 inch) long crack starting from the upper right corner of the bottom vent. I was not happy.

Decided to fix it with a heat resistant epoxy glue from Plastic Padding/Henkel. Also used some fiberglass tape as extra support. The glue is resistant up to 150 degrees Celsius (300 Fahrenheit). That should be enough, since the base doesn't even get hot to the touch when grilling.

Added a few more layers of red on to the surface. Next I'll try to paint the surface pattern black. That's going to be a challenge.
W_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote