BBQ Brethren "Satay" Throwdown

I've never prepared a satay before, so I was in for quite the adventure with this dish. In my research I read literally dozens of different recipes. What follows is a combination of what I read. A bit of this one, a bit of that one. For my first effort it turned out pretty good. Something I'll definitely try again.

I gathered all of the necessary ingredients and began to get organized. (At this point I had forgotten to retrieve my sriracha and soy sauce.)

img22

satay1.jpg

I prepared the marinade by adding some freshly minced garlic and ginger along with a healthy portion of curry powder.

satay2.jpg

After mixing I tossed in the chicken and stirred to coat.

satay3.jpg

I placed the chicken in the refrigerator to marinate and after waiting 90 minutes (or so) I began to prepare the sauce. It was a combination of organic peanut butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha hot sauce, coconut milk, minced garlic, toasted sesame oil, crushed red pepper, a bit of brown sugar, and a healthy pinch of freshly ground black pepper.

satay4.jpg

After the sauce came together it was time to prepare the fire. For a change of pace I decided to dust off the trusty 8-ball mini grill.

satay5.jpg

After getting it ready, the chicken went on...

satay6.jpg

After 15 minutes over the fire the chicken was golden brown and ready to be plated.

satay7.jpg

It was served with cucumbers and a side of jasmine rice and steamed broccoli, though they aren't pictured.

satay8.jpg

The satay was served on banana leaves and garnished with chopped peanuts, toasted sesame seeds, and cilantro.

In keeping with the 8-ball theme, I will ask the all-knowing, all-powerful magic 8-ball if I will have better luck during this TD (in comparison to my bacon entry).

magic_8ball_outlook_not_so_good.jpg

:p :shock: :mmph:

Dammit!

I started mine this afternoon. Things are marinating, its hot in fridge.:mad2:

More tomorrow. :becky:

We had a great Satay meal tonight with family and friends. I have always been amazed at the huge variety of offerings in the Thai and Malay food stalls that I have visited and tried to recreate that abundance here. Additional details and recipes for this cook can be found on my blog here.

Grilled Seafood Satay Five Ways with local Monterey Bay Squid, whole smelt, Pacific white shrimp, live local spot prawn, and scallop-fish balls.
FromtheSea800.jpg

Grilled "Land" Satay Four Ways with beef sirloin, pork tenderloin, chicken thighs and quail eggs.
FromtheLandcarmelized800.jpg

Grilled "Earth" skewers three ways with okra, small onions, and baby artichokes.
FromtheSoil800.jpg

I plated the Satay on banana leaves and served it with our family recipe red curry peanut sauce and Nuoc Cham - a spicy, sweet, sour, and citrusy dipping sauce. We also accompanied the satay with rice, fresh shrimp spring rolls, and bbq pork crunch rolls made by our friend Kelly.
FinalSatayPlated1200.jpg

It was a fun night and the food was a hit. We'll be revisiting this soon.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks like something straight out of a combination of extremely delicious Japanese and Vietnamese restaurants.

It makes my failed quest tonight to find satay sauce here in Yakima, Washington seem that much more pathetic. It looks like I may end up hitting up an Asian restaurant for their secret sauce if I am to pull this dish off.

ROB!!!

ROB!!!

I dang well KNEW I shoulda used Banana Leaves... Man they look good!

You have nailed this one mate... I'm very impressed!

Cheers!

Bill

I am simply blown away be these entries so far!! What a great choice for a TD Bill.:thumb: You have obviously pushed the imagination and talent of our Brethren and Sistern to a higher level. In viewing these entries so far, I have come to the realization that I am not worthy to enter this TD, but will watch and learn from those of you that are. I love this place! Thanks.

We had a great Satay meal tonight with family and friends. I have always been amazed at the huge variety of offerings in the Thai and Malay food stalls that I have visited and tried to recreate that abundance here.

Simply amazing. One of the few things I miss about living in the Bay Area is the abundance and variety of food available in the area.

Fantastic looking meal! :clap2:

Venison Satay

Well I'll be honest, I had no idea what Satay was. Thanks to google I was able to learn a lot. I had a deer tenderloin that I needed to eat before archery season started so I thawed it out after I found I venison recipe online. Marinade and sauce recipe included.... BTW when you live in a town of 3500, might have to travel to find some ingredients.. :redface:

Here we go....

DSC03295.jpg

DSC03296.jpg

He was really wanting to help!!!

DSC03297.jpg

Didn't have a fancy Satay grill like Bill so my WSJ would have to do. :becky:
DSC03298.jpg

DSC03300.jpg

DSC03302.jpg

DSC03304.jpg

Served with a peanut sauce and grilled water chestnuts. TD pic below.

DSC03311.jpg

It was so GOOD!!!! :thumb:

Recipe below.. Copied from a Archer Forum.

Ingredients:
1 lb any meat in 1 1/2" cubes
3 minced fresh garlic cloves
1/2 medium onion chopped
2 tsp chopped Coriander (Cilantro)
1TBL brown sugar
juice of 1 lime
1TBL Asian Fish sauce (Nuoc Mam Nhi)
1Tbl veg oil

Combine all in a bowl and add meat to marinate a couple hours or so

Soak bamboo skewers in water (To prevent burning) for an hour and thread meat after wood is soaked. Grill on BBQ till meat is rare/med.rare (Except chicken,Pork or Bear)

While meat is grilling make Peanut Sauce for dipping:
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 onion minced
1 stalk lemon grass minced
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 Tbl brown sugar
1Tsp chili powder
1 TBL Asian fish sauce
1 Tbl Soy sauce
Combine all in pot, bring to boil...serve in small bowls for dipping

Venison satay? This throwdown has just gone to a completely different level!

Oh, and I love the foil mod on the SJP to keep the sticks from burning. I'm gonna remember that one. :thumb:

My Entry

Although Smokin' Aussie has posted a couple of satay recipe I'd like to encourage everyone to spend a little time on the internet and in cookbooks learning about the different types there are.

To me, half the fun of the Throwdown is the research process and coming up with an exciting and dynamic way to adapt the research to my own cooking asthetic.

There are a variety of different satay techniques that lend itself to BBQ. It's much, much more than just meat on a stick.

Larry has hit it with this statement. :clap2: This is what a throwdown should be!

But, I ignored what he said. :crazy: I had almost decided not to enter for awhile, and then I saw ecode's entry. I was inspired, sort of.

Then I looked at the statement of what the throwdown is. Basically FUN! :clap2: So I decided to have some fun! This entry is completely off the top of my head, no recipe, no looking up something, just me, GYM

My first thought was BACON, no wait bacon wrapped in bacon, YES, YES. Marinated bacon wrapped in bacon, I think you get the theme by now.

So this first pic is the fixins, well most of them cause I'm still working off the top of my head.

Canadian Bacon and thick sliced bacon, marinated in a spicy BBQ sauce.

Fixins.jpg

I picked up some dried Ancho Chillies, soaked in some water, then cut into small pieces. Added Malt vinegar, white vinegar, EVOO, and Charlie Mills North Carolina BBQ sauce. As usual, I didn't measure. Who cares, it always comes out good.

Into the blender and beat the devil out of it. Then added the bacon and into the fridge over night.

Marinade.jpg

It looked like this after 20 hours.

Marinade2.jpg

Sliced up the bacon, and the other bacon, wrapped, and then ran the stick right through the little suckers.

On-The-Stick.jpg

Then I spotted some of my little home grown baby onions. Why not, so I stuck one on the end just for good luck, and put them on the Performer with a little Hickory for smoke.

Grill.jpg

Had trouble keeping the temp down so they cooked at about 300 for 45 minutes.

And the finished product! :clap2: Please use this photo.

Finish.jpg

The onions were not marinated, but were delish. BUT THE BACON, It was to die for. Just the right amount of heat, at least for most. I neglected to tell you that Sharon (BHSLH) had invited an extra six for dinner, so this was an Appetizer. I had a brisket on the WSM for only my second cook with it. NO Pressure.

Regardless, great heat that just sort of sneaks up on you, and then that great NC vinegar sauce.

I will make this again, and for sure the onions will be marinated next time.

Well I'll be honest, I had no idea what Satay was. Thanks to google I was able to learn a lot. I had a deer tenderloin that I needed to eat before archery season started so I thawed it out after I found I venison recipe online. Marinade and sauce recipe included.... BTW when you live in a town of 3500, might have to travel to find some ingredients.. :redface:
Dang blk, Doing venison too. Now I'm bummed, yours looks way too da@m good. What a cutie there, too.

Well I'll be honest, I had no idea what Satay was. Thanks to google I was able to learn a lot. I had a deer tenderloin that I needed to eat before archery season started so I thawed it out after I found I venison recipe online.

BlkJeep, it looks like you nailed the Satay and with Tasty venison to give it your own personal spin.
It's great seeing people doing their homework on this one to come up with new and exotic flavors.

Quick and easy satay

Something quick and easy today for you guys.

I am thankful to have learned about the larger definition of Satay because here in Yakima, Washington I couldn’t find satay sauce in 4 out of 4 stores. It was also fortunate that the extra category in the PNWBA competition today was “Anything on a skewer”. My partner in crime again on this one was once again Knucklhed BBQ who gets credit for the presentation.
IMG_0930-1.JPG

We did chicken, baby peppers, mushrooms, and onions. We coated them with lime juice, cilantro and…General Tso’s chicken sauce (the only thing we had in the cupboard).

This will be my entry:
IMG_0933-1.JPG

--Jonny Rotisserie

Venison satay? This throwdown has just gone to a completely different level!

Oh, and I love the foil mod on the SJP to keep the sticks from burning. I'm gonna remember that one. :thumb:

I agree. That foil idea was BRILLIANT.:thumb::thumb:

Bacon and Pineapple Satay

On Wednesday, I headed over to the Asian market to buy a piece of pork belly. Since I only had a couple of days to cure it, I cut it into 1 inch strips.
IMG_5061.jpg

I used a brown sugar cure and added some Chinese five spice powder to it.
IMG_5065.jpg

On Friday morning, I rinsed the bacon.
IMG_5067.jpg

Then I skewered it and smoked it.
IMG_1997.JPG

Here it is after it has smoked for a couple of hours.
IMG_2002.JPG

Here is the Peanut Sauce coming together:
IMG_2006.JPG

Plus the ingredients for some Saffron Rice:
IMG_2012.JPG

Time to grill the Bacon and the Pineapple.
IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

Altogether on the plate:
IMG_2040.JPG

The tasting plate:
IMG_2057.JPG

Finally my entry photo:
IMG_2045.JPG

I hope you enjoy my interpretation of Satay!
Jim

Rob, now, ... enough is enough, really. You just had to leave the heads on? And don't think that I don't notice that OKRA on the other side. :puke:

Rob, now, ... enough is enough, really. You just had to leave the heads on? And don't think that I don't notice that OKRA on the other side. :puke:

I'm glad you caught the subtle food humour. In case you didn't know, Okra is the new Dragon Fruit.

Venison Satays With Banana-Pineapple Dipping Sauce

After researching satay, I decided to try venison for the meat. I used backstrap.
For the marinade, I used soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, peanut oil, black bean sauce, brown sugar, grated ginger, and garlic. The meat marinated for about four hours.
For the dipping sauce, I used bananas, some pineapple, corriander, lime zest, lime juice all blended in plain yogurt.
The satays were skewered with sticks from palmetto fronds and served over Sem Chi rice(a Florida grown rice), along with grilled Indian flatbread, fresh fruit and tomatoes, dipping sauce on the side.
The satays were grilled on my new SmokinAussie inspired satay grill
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92194
Thanks for looking.
IMG_0902.jpg

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG
This is my satay entry, thank you for looking.
IMG_0928.jpg

Back