View Single Post
Unread 09-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Purchase a 8 - 9 pound pork butt.

Rub the butt down good with Ployboy's Yardbird.

Let the butt sit at room temperature for 30 minutes (and no more) before you put it in the pit.

Start the fire in your smoker. Use hickory for smoke.

Stabilize the smoker temp to around 250 - 275.

When the smoker is ready, put the butt in it.

Maintain the temp in your smoker during the cook.

Cook time will vary. Expect at least six to eight hours.

After 6 hours, start checking the butt for doneness. You know it is good for pulled pork when it wiggles when you push it or when you can wiggle the bone.

If you want to go by temperature, get the internal temperature up to a range between 185 - 195. If you are not sure, go to 200 - 205. Temperature can be different for different butts. I have had some pull at 185 and some wouldn't pull until they reached 200. When it's done, remove it from the smoker, wrap it up on foil, and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.

If you just have to inject it, use Chris Lilly's injection. It's pretty good.

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt (you may have to grind it to prevent clogging the injector.)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Inject it anywhere from 6 hours to 30 minutes before cooking. Make sure the injection is no higher in temp than 40 degrees.

I rarely trim pork butts before cooking. It's not necessary unless there are some areas covered with fat where you want bark. Bark won't develop properly on fat.

It's hard to screw up a pork butt as long as you maintain the proper temperature range and keep it away from direct heat.

Last edited by Boshizzle; 09-11-2010 at 07:58 PM..
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->