View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #16
is one Smokin' Farker

Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I'm really having a hard time trying to figure how a brisket can taste hammy. Hammy is a taste that I associate with cured pork. Do you mean that it was salty? Did you use the amount of water that Kosmo specified?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was salty. I used the correct amount of water, i think ;)

The texture also backed up the hamminess. The meat was undercooked as per temp. The meat was very tender and moist, but not the texture that you expect. As I've been thinking about this today, I am leaning towards an explanation which is a bit of the perfect storm. What do you think?

1) Windy day, may have affected temps that I was unaware of, potentially taking pit temps down. It didn't have its cozy on :(
2) Injection was salty, and I used a lot of it, and let it sit overnight. Perhaps overnight is too long, and perhaps I injected too much.
3) The meat may have been soaked in a solution in the bag; i will have to check that next time.
3) Meat temp never got right, but because of the overnight marinade it was tender, leading me to pull it prematurely since my pen slid right through it... ?

Last edited by bmanMA; 09-06-2010 at 06:59 PM..
bmanMA is offline   Reply With Quote