View Single Post
Unread 08-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
For one, with that pit, I would suggest giving up on low and slow except for setting the ring and enjoy the world of BBQ a heck of a lot more.

When I think of all the money and energy wasted trying to get my NBS to smoke at 225 I want to kick myself in the head - especially after being raised fortunate enough to work at Kreutz
I totally agree. You'll get a cleaner fire as well. I'm actually not using any charcoal in my Char-griller offset. I start off with hickory/pecan and get a decent bed of coals and then add small splits of fruitwood, preferably, as needed. I keep the vent open most of the time for a cleaner fire and it stayed in the 275-300 range most of the time the other day. I keep a split or two on top of the fb warming up before going into the fire, and I look for the smoke to disapate before throwing it in, not for the temps to go down. This is key. If I wait for the temp to go down, it's to late. Go by the smoke if burning sticks. If you can't get fruitwood, get as much bark off as possible. This all works for me, and it's a lot more fun than my wsm.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote