View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
SouthernSquire
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Reaching/Maintaining Proper Temperature (The Basics)

I have a modified chargriller smoking pro (extended chimney, baffel, raised charcoal box in the side fire box).

I am still struggling with the basics and am wondering if any one can point me to a good step by step guide to starting a fire, getting the fire up to temperature, and maintaining the temperature over a short and long burns. Aka the basics of smoking quality Que...

Even with all of the modifications, I am having trouble reaching temperature. I have checked and double checked. I have a good and unobstructed airflow. I've been told kingsford charcoal burns really low and that could be the reason why I am not getting to temperature, but I am not sure and don't know what alternatives I have.

1) How much charcoal/wood is needed at the beginning to reach temperature? I usually work with a lit charcoal starter can/chimney full of charcoal added to the equivalent of one-half full charcoal starter can/chimney (unlit) in the fire box and then will added wood chunks until I get close to the desired temperature in the cooking chamber. But this is taking a very long time and not particularly working well.

2) How often do you add charcoal and/or wood to a lit fire?

3) Is it better to pre-light the additional charcoal/wood before adding it to the already lit fire box or add unlit charcoal/wood to the fire box?

I know this is more art than science -- but I'm spending lots of money/time trying different things and nothing seems to be working. The angry girlfriend who wants to spend more time together isn't helping much either.

Help?
SouthernSquire is offline   Reply With Quote