View Single Post
Unread 08-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
yup, do what stoke and smoke said, but, i'd start probing for butta after only @ 1.5 hours not 2.

as an aside, traditional brisket being cooked lownslow is somewhat of a myth. at least in texas anyway. its cooked as high as 600* by some folks.

In Legends of TX BBQ, Robb Walsh mentions the 600 degree temps measured at the Kreuz Market, where they cook SHOULDER CLODS at 500, served "a little pink", according to Rick Schmidt, the pit boss at Kreuz Market in Lockhart.

On pg. 50, Walsh quotes John Fullilove, the pit boss at Smitty's (the old Kreuz Market location in Lockhart): " You want to cook your better cuts of beef faster and at higher temperatures. Tough cuts like BRISKET have to cook SLOW."

Regardless of what I've read though, if cooking much over 350, the outside of a brisket would go from bark to char before the inside got tender, and I don't think using just salt and pepper would avoid it, either. Also, unless you have a really big offset where the brisket is far away from the fire, I don't think it's a good idea to cook over 300 unless planning on foiling.

Last edited by Dave Russell; 08-21-2010 at 04:24 PM..
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote