View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #28
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButzBBQ View Post
Yeah, contemplating the cost part of all that meat is what makes me the sickest.
Well, briskets were $1.65/lb @ wally world... and it was prolly closer to 100lbs of brisket (average 14lbs each x 7= 98lbs) so that cost about $160... 56lbs of tri-tip at $3.68/lb makes for another $200.... plus the cost of rub, wood, charcoal, injection <--

What was the most expensive was the cost of my pride...
Here I had to call a friend and tell him that there won't be brisket on the table that afternoon and was tri-tip an acceptable alternative (please say yes, please say yes! )...

The friend was paying me a few hundred bucks to cook... that turned into less... It was totally my fault, I couldn't ask him to pay for it. Live & learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in Ga View Post
Looks good for Bunswick Stew
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelonutz View Post
Sounds like brisket tacos for the next few months!

NUTZ
Wasn't suitable for anything... I promise you, if you even got the slightest amount of the mushy stuff in a bite, it ruined the whole thing... it was incredibly gross. Wasn't even like the mush had good flavor, really strange.
Reportedly another friend's dogs consumed it all, but I think he might have just been trying to make me feel good that "at least the dogs liked it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Oh man I didn't know if I should laugh or cry!
Laughing now (kinda), crying and angry then... I really cant convey how horrified I was upon discovering it, especially just hours before folks would be lining up for chow... very little sleep makes thinking & problem solving really difficult.

I heard once that the enzymes that are used as tenderizer (bromelain & papain), work much better/more aggressively at warmer temps and then are deactivated at around 160*... On a steak it wouldn't be a big deal since it's only on the surface and starts warming and then quickly hits 160*. I think the big problem for me was (and in BBQ in general) is that you put a large hunk of meat in a 250* smoker and then it takes the next 8 hours to hit 160*'ish... it has all that time to break down and eventually turns it into expensive dog food...
Hybrid Pellet Pooper [I][B]"The Meat Vault"[/B][/I] - [B][COLOR=red]3[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED [/I][/B][/COLOR]Weber Kettles O, H (with Cajun Bandit Mod) & [COLOR=black]pre '79[/COLOR] - [COLOR=black][B][I]Black[/I][/B][/COLOR] OT Platinum (DH) - [B]SS AusPit[/B] - [B]Rib-O-Lator[/B] - SJ UDS (DI) - [B][I]CRAZY FAST[/I][/B] [COLOR=yellow][B][SIZE=3]Yeller[/SIZE] [COLOR=black]Thermapen[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]

[B][I]We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz[/I][/B]
[B][/B]
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->