View Single Post
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMW View Post
I was just given an old Weber kettle (3 daisy wheels on bottom) and was looking to restore it.

Several questions come to mind if anyone can provide answers as I am a newbie at this.
1) Can't I prep the kettle (clean, sand etc) and just repaint the entire kettle with high temp (Rustoleum 1200 degree) paint? SwamprB recommends sanding the area that has lost the porcelain, mask off as close as you can to the non-porcelain surface and just paint that area.
2) Should I even try the trouble of restoring the bottom parts (some rust and dings in these parts) or should I just buy the $23 kit for the bottom that gives you everything from the kettle down? I have re-used the lower vents in previous restorations. Drill or grind the rivets out and replace with stainless machine screws, washers and jam nuts.
I plan on takling it all apart & cleaning etc. I will replace the rusted screws and was planning on sanding the handles and go with something that will show off teh wood contrasted against the black kettle. Sand the handles until you get the color you want (the Weber logo will likely go away) and treat with teak oil (I get it at Home Depot) All input & thoughts welcome.
If any of the handles are coming loose where welded to the body, I drill those and fasten with the stainless hardware mentioned above.

Good luck, enjoy the kettle!
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote