View Single Post
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

While I agree with those offering caution, I also need to add it CAN be fun running a Q joint. You do still get the chance to shoot the chit though I have a strict "no adult bevvies" policy while working (don't want to get too sloppy). My customers love to talk BBQ - want to see my smokers - ask a lot of questions. It's a great deal of fun to be serving food people - especially strangers - really dig. Yes - long days & much hard work - but that's pretty much any self owned business.

We opened The Cha Cha Hut in January 2010 after several years of hearing "you should open a Q place". Had a great 4 month run (in the middle of a Catskill Mountains winter no less) then promptly burned down right before Memorial Day. (Gotta love the timing of the BBQ Gods...) We've been doing a front yard roadside thang on Saturdays during the summer. I have to say - if there is a choice between roadside & finding an actual Q joint - go with the joint. Roadside is a real bitch! Set up in the morning - take down at night - repeat... Plus - much more work keeping on the good side of the DoH. (BTW - make VERY good friends with your local DoH & things will be MUCH easier.) We now are working on re-opening in a new location & the community has been very excited about us continuing. To me - even with the long hours - having fans like that IS fun & really does make it worth it.

Personally, I say go for it (as long as you do it legally). The only thing you have to lose is money. Make sure you - and any significant other - are willing to make that gamble. If you can find a small location somewhere - perhaps a local ice cream stand - see if you can work out a deal to partner up. Our new location is going to be in the back of a general store/gas station. There are opportunities out there if you look for them.

Much luck!

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote