THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Q

is one Smokin' Farker
I lived in Venezuela for 3 years a little over 10 years ago. I live in Houston but still work in Latin America. For the "Pulled" Throwdown, I knocked off the national dish of Venezuela - Pabellon Criollo.

I bought a small angus chuck roast at my local grocery, seasoned it with lemon pepper, paprika, salt and garlic powder and let it sit overnight. This morning, I fired up the miniWSM and smoked it over Kingsford with some hickory chunks for about 2 hours.

The miniWSM rolling along at 275ish.

DSC_0027-1.jpg

The chuck about 1 1/2 into the cook.

DSC_0025.jpg

I pulled the roast at 160F and wrapped it in foil with two cans of Rotel Tomatoes and some Green Chiles.

DSC_0031.jpg

I put the roast back on the smoker for another 1 1/2. I had to pull it in order to leave for my 7yo's birthday party so I wrapped it in foil and put it in the cooler with some towels to rest and stay warm. I pulled it when I got home.

DSC_0176-1.jpg

In the meantime, I sliced up some plantain into 1" chunks and fried them til browned.

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

After they set out and cooled, I smashed them using the traditional implement and refried them to make tostones.

My assistant and the plantain smasher (patent pending)

DSC_0179.jpg

Tostones ready to go

DSC_0182.jpg

While all that was going on, I mixed some Harina P.A.N. with water and salt to make the arepas.

Arepa dough in balls ready for the Arepa Maker (why I have an Arepa Maker is a whole 'nother story).

DSC_0180-1.jpg

Once it looked like this whole symphony was starting to come together, I warmed the pulled beef with the aus jus and tomatoes from the braising process. I sliced the arepa and warmed it too.

DSC_0183.jpg

Plated and served as arepa con carne machada, tostones y caraotas. (corn cake, pulled beef, fried plantain and black beans).

DSC_0195.jpg

Patria, BBQ o Muerte.......Venceremos!

Wow, excellent post and pictorial. I'm not familiar with any of those dishes, and I thought I knew alot about food! Thanks for sharing, that looks wonderful!

Does the mini have a water pan like the standard wsm?

The barrel of the mini is a 32qt tamale pot with the bottom cut out. It has a ledge about 2" from the bottom that holds an aluminum plate with holes in it. When it was a tamale pot, that plate would hold the tamales and diffuse the steam from the boiling water in the bottom.

I have used the diffuser plate once to see if it could work like the pan in my big WSM but i have good control of the temp without it so I don't use it anymore. I may work on it some more and rig it to hold a clay saucer.

It's a good cooker for a couple Or a family when the kids think your food looks "icky".

That's a cool cooker and a good looking supper.

That dish looks similar to something I had at a Colombian restaurant in Miami. I think I'd like to cook that for my family sometime. Is there a ratio of the different dry spices, or do you just wing it?

That dish looks similar to something I had at a Colombian restaurant in Miami.

The meat part of the dish is called ropa vieja in many places. I've had it in Colombia too but don't recall the name. In Cuba, it's called Moros y Cristianos (Moors and Christians) for the black beans and white rice.

I think I'd like to cook that for my family sometime. Is there a ratio of the different dry spices, or do you just wing it?

I just wing it. If you aim for a 1/3 mix of course lemon pepper, kosher salt, and course black pepper you would be close to what I use as a base. Then add the others as you see fit.

That's a cool cooker and a good looking supper.

That dish looks similar to something I had at a Colombian restaurant in Miami. I think I'd like to cook that for my family sometime. Is there a ratio of the different dry spices, or do you just wing it?

Yes, Colombian and Venezuelan food are similar. What Venezuelans call Tostones, we call them Patacones. Very good food, never thought of combining it with my bbq, thanks HQ!

Man that looks good. I spent about a year in Venezuela in '96-'97 and really loved the food there. Do you fry your Arepas or cook them on a griddle?
I really miss the Arepas and the street shawarma vendors.

Now I have to go get some P.A.N.

Chuck

Man that looks good. I spent about a year in Venezuela in '96-'97 and really loved the food there. Do you fry your Arepas or cook them on a griddle?

We were there at the same time. Great days. I cook mine on a waffle iron looking thing that is made specifically to cook arepas. My friends gave it to me along with a kilo of Harina P.A.N. when I left in 1999.

Now I have to go get some P.A.N.

Couldn't believe it but I found some at my local grocer.

Back