View Single Post
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #15
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Well, if I was heck bent on doing it, then I would do it right. I would also buy some insurance in the form of burgers, hot dogs, chicken thighs, kabobs etc...

I would plan on doing the brisket hot-n-fast, allow for 5 hours cook time, 2 hours holding time. I would cook a 12-14 lb packer (because I really believe them to be easier to cook). I would shoot for cooking at 280F to 300F, offset heat. I would go with a simple rub of salt, pepper, granulated garlic and chile powder held on with Worcestershire sauce and allowed to cure for 1 hour at room temperature. (this means you are going to fire the cooker 9 hours before you plan to eat. I would cook to somewhere around 200F and poke with a steel skewer or ice pick until probe goes in like butter. You would want to have a preheated cooler (boiling water to heat, then drain and dry just before adding brisket) or an oven set to 160F. Brisket will hold fine at this temperature. If you use cooler, you need to wrap in foil and then a towel.

Remember that only feel can really tell you it is done, that means probe and feel for a really easy poke. Oh, poke across the grain, not into the grain. Poke the flat and not the point. Point is almost always done first.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote