View Single Post
Unread 11-04-2004, 10:57 AM   #8
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Check out www.jazzfoods.com - they advertise in the NBBQ News and have a lot of info for starting a food business - especially like you're insterested in.

Cookers and trailers - sheesh - we've got threads with dozens of manufacturers:

Some I check frequently are:

www.sybbq.com
www.partygrills.com
www.austinnationalsmokers.com
www.pigroast.com - posts prices
www.gatorpit.net - ask for the catalog

Also, do a search for concession trailers and do some basic research. Check with your health department about what you need - for both your manufacturing kitchen and what you need to be in compliance with your mobile rig. ((Don't ask how I know all this!!))

If you're serious - get a couple of books on startup business -- don't worry about the food side -- read up on financing, licensing, permits, bookeeping, taxes, business/ficticious names, etc.

What I've done so far (and I'm negotiating a rig design at this time):

1. Registered my ficticious name (DBA) with the state
2. Applied and recieved my tax number (state sales)
3. Applied and recieved my fed tax number (even though I'm not hiring)
4. Contacted my health department to find our what I need for my "commissary" kitchen and what I need to design into my rig to be completely compliant.
5. Take and pass the Food Safety Managers test
6. Apply for a business credit card; start looking for a place to setup your business banking; start researching credit card sales, etc.

I've done all this and still don't own a rig and haven't sold a single $ worth of food.

Good luck!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote