View Single Post
Unread 11-01-2004, 10:34 PM   #4
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Its common practive to let meat "rest" after cooking to redistribute juices. With Briskets and butts, removing them at a slightly lower temp than your target temperature will allow it to continue cooking without heat and the temperature will continue to rise slowly before dropping. Sometimes this rise can be as much as 10 degrees. I remove briskets and cooler them at around 183-185. Leave a temp probe in them and they will climb to 190-195 before leveling off. By foiling them, wrapping them in a towel and then cooler them, they will stay at that temperature and slowly drop. This extends the cooking process without risk of drying out or overcooking and allows the meat to simmer further in its own juice.
I'm going to concur with Phil and KC in one post, but will add my .02

Forget about the towel. Just add to the cooler.

for me, the brisket was already wrapped at 170 ish, brought to 190, and in the cooler.

The reason I say no towel, and the .02 I am adding, be CAREFUL when opening up after 3 hours in the cooler. If you keep the probe in, you'll see you hit 198 after in the cooler. but the juices keep redistributing. so you end up with ALOT of juicy brisket. I ruined 10 towels on coolered briskets before ditching the cooler.

So the cooler technique (applicable to ribs, roasts, and pulled pork especially too) is something you need to try (again and again)

"Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants..." - Maxwell

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote