View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #36
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
From times past, I have found that if the temp isn't up between the 75-100 range then A) the peppers take much longer to dry (especially if it's humid outside) B) they don't darken up as much, they tend to stay more green and while it's ok, I like the kind of toasted flavor that the darkend ones have, the flavor stands out more in rubs and in dishes.

Hmmmmmm...it's gonna be 93 in the shade today - all I have to do is generate smoke. Of course the humidity might make a difference...

Love that bowl of pepper goodness pic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
I don't see why you couldn't, I like to cut the peps open to allow the smoke inside since the skin is impossible to penetrate. If you were gonna hang em after, I'd split them from the tip to the stem into quarters, but leave the stem on, that way you could tie them by the stem to dry, and the smoke still gets inside and they dry quicker.

I do notice tho, if I leave the peps on a rack or something to finish drying for a couple of days, the potentcy of the smoke deminishes quite a bit, that could be good or bad I guess.

Instead of the soldering iron deal, what about 4 lit briqs on one side of your kettle with a chunk of wood on top of them? That should smoke low enough... You could fit a lot more of em on there too.

Let me know what you end up doing, I'd like to hear what results you have!
Quick note, there is another method using long green chiles called chile pasado where you roast, peel, and then hang the peppers to air dry. Basically a process used to preserve the peppers before refrideration was common. Humidity in the air can cause molding. I remember my dad trying this one time with LOTS of Hatch chile...........well, a few days later, the rainy season hit. The peppers never got wet, but the humidity caused molding and the entire batch was ruined. Probably less likey, since they will be smoked first, but just a heads up.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->