View Single Post
Unread 04-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_T_Scot View Post
Is it ever in something Labeled as "Natural Flavors"? Oishi brand potato chips Onion and Garlic flavor list it on the label and they are very good. I don't recall seeing it on poatato chips in the USA.
Not according to the USDA. If MSG is used in the product, it must state Mono Sodium Glutamate on the label. Sure, some labels aren't truthful. This can be because something is being covered up or someone doesn't understand the rules. But if you see Natural Flavorings on a label, they shouldn't include MSG or other glutamates. Rules for food labels have a TON of rules by the FDA: text size, required inclusions, placement, etc. Like any government regulation, it takes a paralegal degree to understand.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Help/FAQs_Flavorings/index.asp

Also, hydrolyzed proteins are not to be labeled as natural flavors either.

Form USDA site...

Can hydrolyzed animal or vegetable protein be identified as "natural flavoring" on the label?
No. FSIS regulation requires that animal or vegetable proteins must be specifically identified in the ingredient statement on the labels. The source of the protein must also be disclosed. On the label, you will read "hydrolyzed wheat protein" or "hydrolyzed milk protein," not just hydrolyzed protein.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote