View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #13
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_T_BBQ View Post
Sugar caramelizes to give you a crust (bark) on the meat. In a brine it works via osmosis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Being from Texas, it's no sugar on beef. I do use a small amount on ribs for a light glaze at the end. No sugar on pork butts though.

I guess it all depends on what you grow up with.
Some good opinions here so far, but Big T, I don't use sugar in my rub and have always had great bark. It's not necessary some times.

And having discovered Q while living in Texas, I figure that's the way ya do it!

As far as the balance goes I also think you could add it as something else. Like Patio Daddio said about fast food being served with a sweet soft drink.

Keep the comments coming, and thanks all.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote