View Single Post
Unread 08-25-2004, 04:18 PM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

Another Role. ! The time keepers . The chef has the issues of getting stuff in and cooked and ready for turnin, but someone has to watch the clock and coordinate when to do what. You dont want to start prepping your turnin boxes to early and turnin in cold food, so you have to time it to go from the heat, to the judge without wilting the lettuce. :)

At 11-12PM the day before, get a clipboard and have this conversation with the team. fill in the meat of your choice and write all the times down. I have been working on a form to simpolify this and put it in a "at a glance" format.

We have a brisket. 10lbs. it will take 12 hours . turnin time is 130 We want it ready for slicing at 1230 it must be coolered for 3 hours so it must be done by 9am. So it goes into the cooker at 9PM. Prep work is a 4 hour injection, have it in the marinade my 430PM.

Ribs, 4-6 hours. Turn in at 1230. Must be done by 11 to cooler for at least an hour and then return to smoke to glaze. Ribs go in at 5AM. Prep work is prepared rub 4 hours in advance. Rub Ribs by 1AM.

This may seem lame, but believe me, so much will be going on AND you will be partying AND friday night is a food orgy and the circuit people are like a big partying family, you can get siedetracked just by having fun and hangin with people... Having this written down wil allow you to look at it and remember whats comes next and at what time.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote