View Single Post
Unread 08-13-2004, 01:08 PM   #22
BrooklynQ
Banned

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
You mentioned the guy made a "design" with Chicken like a smile and horns.

We learned this would get a Disqualification on presentation for trying to "influence" appearence through a design.

What is the actual rule, and did anyone judge them that way at your table that you know of?

Here's the rules:
20. Garnish is limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce (no kale, endive, or red tipped lettuce) and/or common curly parsley, flat leaf parsley or cilantro. Any entry not complying with this rule will be given a one (1) on APPEARANCE.

21. Marking of any kind of the meat or container will not be tolerated. This will include but is not limited to painting, sculpting, or decorating. No aluminum foil or stuffing is allowed in the container. No toothpicks, skewers, foreign material or stuffing is permitted. Any entry not complying with this rule will be given a one (1) in APPEARANCE, a one (1) in TASTE, and a one (1) in TENDERNESS/TEXTURE.

What I was taught in my judging class was that a design could be used as a way to identify a particular team and so it should be DQ'd.

The presentation didn't really register as a identifiable design at the contest. At least not to me. Only when I looked back on it and tried to find words to describe it, did the presentation become the horny smilely face. Someone more astute than myself may have picked it up there.

Jim? What's your take on it. You saw it too.

No one judge can DQ an entry. It needs approval by the contest rep.

One other area that was questioned by a cook when he saw the empty containers, was the use of iceburg lettuce as oppposed to green leaf lettuce. He stated that green leaf lettuce is a particular breed of lettuce and that iceburg is a breed unto itself. He felt that iceburg should have DQ'd that submission. The rep said that iceburg was indeed a green leaf lettuce. I wonder if this has come up before?
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote