View Single Post
Unread 02-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #9
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

a few things about a few things

pepper.... 20 mesh... is the proper size.

Sams - looks like this - http://www.tones.com/products/displa...?product_id=45

thats five pounds. Pepper blands out after the end of the cook, provided you don't wrap it until its done.

Salt - koshure in the box is the right size. The salt crystals stay on the meat and slowly dissolve away but slow enough the sodium slowly goes into the meat along with all the flavors of the rub and smoke and meat carmelizations.

Now if I were to place a slow motion camera on the meat and watch those crystals over the process (which never gets mopped or spritzed and thus why i fear high moisture contents) you would see the salt melt like snowflake.

INJECTIONS DISTURB THE PROCESS... ONLY ONE INJECTION I KNOW OF DOES NOT INTERRUPT THE FLAVOR....

Here is the logic of why this should be done without most injections. Salt is a carrier of flavor. The flavor you want deep in your meat is one of salty, beefy, rub type flavor tahat has elements of smoke and the malliard reaction that occurs on browned meat driven inside your meat.

If you artifically inject the typical sodium based beef flavored broth into the meat... then it blocks the carry of the outside flavors. You ensure that what you dDO taste is what you injected. Like I said there is one exception to this rule. It is lost somewhere in this forum is you search for it... just don't blab about it, Verstehen Sie?