View Single Post
Unread 02-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Porks View Post
Sorry if this is already posted but I couldn't find it if it was....

Tomorrow I'm going to do the tri-level rub 1. Lawry 2. Butt Glitter....rest overnight....3. Apply the dirty dalmatian then smoke.

I just had a couple of questions.....I was hoping bbqfunkmasterq(sorry could't remember your name) could respond or anybody else that could help....

1.With the salt component of the dirty dalmatian, can I use large grain sea salt? When I say large grain its like the size of the nerds candy. Very very large. Or should I grind this down more.

2. When I apply the DD, how much on average do you need? I'm doing a 12 lbs brisky so would you say 1/2 cup of salt, 1/2 cup black pep and 1/2 cup lemon pepper would be ok? Should this be applied to all sides even the fat cap? Do you rub it in or just sprinke and hope it sticks.

3. I'm using a WSM and it contains a water pan. Should I pan on adding water or should I just sand the pan.

Thanks a bunch! I will be doing this tomorrow on a 22 wsm, with apple/pecan wood. I'm planning on doing the minion method and will use my guru with ramp mode off. I will start at 225 for 2 hours then increase to 270 for the duration. When tender will wrap in foil and rest in towels in my cooler for 2-3hours.

I will post pictures tomorrow evening.
I think you want the salt to be coarseness of Kosher Salt, not overly large.

You will get a better quality bark with sand in the pan in my opinion.

Funk puts a pretty heavy coat of DD to all sides, but 1 1/2 cups should be enough. Pretty easy to mix up some more if you need it. Be careful to keep track of what side the fat cap is on. Fat cap down at first, and flip once if you want to do it the way he does it.

Enjoy the cook. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote