View Single Post
Unread 02-06-2010, 02:35 AM   #13
jeffboyette
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb25 View Post
You can cut it in half. It will add more bark, as you said, and probably shorten the cooking time.

But I gotta tell ya, there is something about cooking a butt for 12+ hours that just can't be beat. The process of building the fire and getting your cooker to cruise at the right temp (225 for me). I have a routine of starting my fire at 11pm. I get the butts on the smoker at midnight. Then check the cooker every hour (yes, I enjoy it) through the night. Usually settle in to sustained sleep around 7am, knowing my kids will tell me if the temp gets too high/low (never happens). Usually sleep through the stall and wake around noon as things are finishing. Depending on the size, pull between 1 and 3 pm. Wrap in foil and place in a cooler until 5pm. At 5pm, I pull and hit it with your typical no. carolina sauce. Family loves it, and it feels like 12 hours of time well spent.
Man I love hearing west coast foodie passionate about que from north carolina. I too love those all nighters. something about watching the sun come up with the fog, chill in the air, coffee, and hickory and oak smoke.
jeffboyette is offline   Reply With Quote