View Single Post
Unread 02-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #4872
brotherbd
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Not to proud to ask a brother for help

Howdy yall,

I am new to the brotherhood and have been reading on this epic thread for the BDS/UDS.

Now 'member I'm from Texas and there's always a story 'specally 'fore askin' a question.

I have the bug to build a UDS, especially since my new son-in-law after this last Thanksgiving when I smoked a turkey wants a smoker so I want to make one for each of us. (Brings a tear to my eye, a lump in my throat, and my chest puffs out a bit, just thinkin' 'bout the boy with his very first smoker. I'm so proud. )

I have a question before I get started.

I have been given 10 open top barrells with rolled rims, bolt rings, and lids. Don't know what the insides look like yet as they are sealed up, I do know they were used for soil samples from an area small strip mall and have been given green non-hazardous stickers, so I know our 'Q won't glow in the dark or poison us.( 2 very important points.)

I would like to use a couple of them to make high covers instead of using old weber or clone domes (since I don't have any of those), and maybe even rotisery rings like ive seen a few do.

I'm only up to page 130 of the thread so I don't know if this has been asked and answered, if it has please tell me where to look, many thanks.

Here's the question,

I was wondering if any one has specific instructions and/or pics of how to construct the donor drum lids and make them seal tightly?

I think that I've seen somewhere in the thread N8man talking about his but not how he built it.

I just want to get it right the first time to get a good seal.

I'll take lost of pice during the build and post it all for upcoming generations of brethren.

Thanks brothers, in advance