Unread 01-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
BobBrisket

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderDomeBBQ View Post
I thought about this last night while eating pistachios

Any input on pistachio shells?
I've tossed pistachio, walnut, filbert, and almond (Christmas time nut mix they sell) and even sunflower seed shells onto the grill for quick smoke and while they burn up quickly made for some nice smoke for grilling.
Also, in the thread referrenced by Guerry, you will notice that even when the hulls were burned in that basket and plenty of air, he still said they had an unpleasant odor. You will multiple that odor when putting them in foil cause they will burn much slower and longer and the smoke comes out very dense, acrid, and unpleasant. In large part, because the husk contains a great deal of oil during the time on the tree and that oil never really dries out completely.
I think I read that they don't even like to use them as fertilizer because that high oil content isn't good when released in the soil and absorbed by the roots.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote