I returned a sour smelling cryovac of ribs to the butcher once. He told me that nowadays the pigs are processed so fast that they don't have a chance to "gas" and lose the smell before being wrapped. I can understand what he is talking about because its the same with deer. They stink on the inside until after they have been washed out and hanging for some time. I've since bought many cryovacs that have the off smell until I rinse them and let them sit for a few. Just my two cents. I've never heard of the pregnant pig difference, but do know many times with animals if it came from a male that hadn't been castrated it will have a very different taste due to the hormones so I guess it could be true. The pregnant females would have a different hormone level than a non pregnant one.
- UDS ( my new favorite cooking device)
- Homebuilt cold smoker, Cookshack SM008.
- 250 gal oil drum cut and waiting for me to build it
- (3) more 250 gal oil drums waiting for me to go get them.
- Custom offset in progress.
Link To The Build: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=71893