View Single Post
Unread 12-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #37
BobBrisket

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimebbq View Post
BobBrisket,

Thanks for starting this thred. My parents and 8 siblings are all from El Paso. In fact, every "Adauto" in the phone book is a relative.
My sister, wife and I made 5 dozen green chile, pork and cheese tamales last week. They are in the freezer until tomorrow night when we will steam them. Ours are made very similar to the way you described them. This year, I roasted a 30 pound box of Hatch, NM chilies, so they will be real hot. Can't wait.

Benny
Benny,

I'll keep an eye an out for any Adauto in EP! Nothing like Hatch chiles. The green ones just don't taste the same without them. Your story about the "men mixing the masa by hand" brought back memories. I remember my grandpa and dad and uncles taking turns mixing the batch of masa that was usually 20 lbs or more. And the float test........it does work. I wish I had seen your idea about the black olive earlier. I love em and would like to have tried it. I make the green mostly for me. I prefer the green to the red and I like em HOT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
I bought lard. Should I use a little less oil and add some in?
Little late, but lard is best. There is an unofficial "tamale test". If you can squeeze the tamale out of the husk after it's cooked and it just slides out, then you used enough lard!! Not the healthiest food lubricant, but the tastiest. Besides, it's only once a year. We got lots of time to burn off the extra calories.

All the tamales are looking great. You can use just about anything as a filling.
Once we started smoking the meat for the filling..........we never went back to using the oven or boiling. Smoked meat adds a whole nother falvor level.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote