View Single Post
Unread 12-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #37
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

OK - here's a quote that I made in another thread:

As a judge I have seen boxes that you would not believe: KCBS chicken entry with foil under an uncut half chicky; another KCBS chicken entry with bunches of red & purple grapes for garnish; KCBS pork entry that had two hoagie rolls (each cut into thirds) in the box, making 6 little sammies; totally burnt (or raw) meat; the list goes on and on. I keep asking myself if some of these guys don't even bother to check the rules of the contest or attend the cooks' meeting .
They are probably the same ones that I hear muttering during the awards ceremony that "everyone that tasted my BBQ says that it's the best ... blah, blah, blah ... what's the matter with these jerks?"

I have also seen Red tipped lettuce, foil (more than once), celery, tomato slices, toothpicks, butcher's twine and a piece of unidentified vegetable matter in the turn in box.
Along with the half-a-bird mentioned above, there have been ribs, pork slices and brisket that were not cut all of the way through, sometimes leaving less than the 6 required pieces. This is another good reason to put 7 or more pieces in the box!
Burnt chicken - I mean BURNT!!! One entry was damn near charcoal, thankfully it went to the table next to me, not mine . Sliced pork (the same one that didn't cut the slices all the way through) that was so raw that it was "tow-strap tough".

The vast majority of the entries will score a 7 or higher - but you sure do remember the terrible ones .

By the way, I've only judged for three years and still need one more comp for my Master CBJ. All of the contests that I've been to have been KCBS.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote